Renewed fighting broke a cease-fire in the embattled central Syrian city of Homs and halted a plan to evacuate civilians and bring supplies, an official and activists said Saturday.
The official said the fighting included a mortar that landed near U.N personnel. An activist said combat began when government forces fired 11 rockets toward the opposition-held Hamidiyeh quarter. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters.
The mortar did not cause any injury to U.N officials. The U.N had no immediate comment.
An agreement had called for a three-day truce to allow the evacuation of some civilians and the entry of food shipments. The agreement was reached after talks last month in Switzerland between government officials and opposition to try to end Syria's three-year conflict. The parties are expected to meet again on Feb. 10.
The U.N said that on Friday, 83 children, women and elderly people on wheelchairs were evacuated from Homs.