Bouthaina Shaaban, advisor to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad speaks to the media after a meeting at the Geneva Conference on Syria at the United Nations European headquarters in Geneva  30, 2 .2014
Bouthaina Shaaban, advisor to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad speaks to the media after a meeting at the Geneva Conference on Syria at the United Nations European headquarters in Geneva 30, 2 .2014
News   /   Syrian Crisis

The Syrian government has not decided yet whether to take part in a second round of peace talks tentatively scheduled for next week, a senior official said.

A tumultuous week of negotiations in the Swiss city of Geneva last month between Syrian government and the main Western-backed Syrian opposition group ended without making any significant headway. The U.N  has proposed holding a second round of discussions that would begin Monday.

The opposition  coalition already has agreed to attend. The government, however, has refused to commit.

Bouthaina Shaaban, a close political and media adviser to President al-Assad, told Syrian television in an interview late Wednesday that the government delegation to last month's talks in Switzerland is still evaluating the first round of negotiations and briefing the leadership on them.

Shaaban did not say when a decision on attending next week's proposed talks would be made, only saying that the delegation is waiting on instructions from Syria's leadership.

Russia, expressed confidence earlier this week that the Syrian government would indeed return to the U.N-hosted peace talks in Geneva which aim to broker a political solution to Syrian crisis.

Leave a comment: Comments represent their owners and does not represent `Syia is Here` necessarily.